For the managers and professionals who hold the responsibility of managing other people it is absolutely essential for them to motivate employees and set an achievable goal. It is a well-known fact that people perform best when they are given a specific goal to achieve.
This doesn’t just benefit the employees but also the employer, he gets his work done and the employees feel like winners every time they accomplish their goals.
Motivation and goal setting is of high importance for any business, it takes the company and employees towards a defined objective. Without a goal no one would show up for work, there will be no direction and no motivation to move ahead.
Advantages of setting a goal:
- Work will be completed quickly, efficiently and effectively.
- Goal setting and motivation results in a better performance of tasks
- Gives the employees control over their own future
- There is a sense of purpose in life
Imagine going to the ticket counter of the metro services, when you don’t know where you are going what you will purchase? Maybe a random ticket and once you are in the metro to your random destination, what will you do there? Where will you stay? How will you get back? Do you have enough money? All these things need to be thought of before making a journey, its similar to goal setting, when you travel you know where you are going, where you will stay and by following a simple goal you can plan the journey, it becomes sweeter and tension free and once you reach your destination there is a sense of accomplishment and with that comes happiness. Here are some tips on setting business goals.
The goals you set for your businesses need to be:
- Clear and aligned to the vision, mission and strategies of the organization
- Participation of the employees in setting up of goals is important
- Smart stands for specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound, hence the goals that we set should be smart.
- Breaking down the goal to small milestones helps the employee see where he is heading and how far he has come.
- Recognition is important to make your employees keep going, every employee should be recognized for his or her individual commitments and achievements to keep him going
- Short term rewards and benefits can keep the spirits high of your employees, surprise bonuses and time off help a lot in keeping the employees happy and satisfied.
Motivation and goal setting are two sides of the same coin, there is an importance of maintaining a balance between goals and motivations, the organization must always consider how a specific goal will impact motivatio